Monday, May 25, 2009

A New Smile

I'm allowed to wake up a bit late on Mondays because my work doesn't start till 12 noon. Today, I woke up early because I have to go to Westmead Hospital to have my blood extracted for tissue typing. The nurse in charge of the stem cell transplant comes only on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays and Monday is my only chance. Abigail, Eric and Heidi already had their samples of blood taken weeks ago. I was the only one left. All four of us, siblings of Abel, are the prime candidates for donating our bone marrow aspirates for Abel's future stem cell transplant. Unfortunately, Eric's and Abigail's were not a match for Abel. I hope Heidi's or mine's matches.

When I arrived in Abel's room, I saw her face lighten up for the first time since ages ago. It was because her doctors already made their morning rounds and she was allowed to be discharged. She was so excited she packed her things straight away. What a lovely sight! I will not forget that smile on her face. She was so glad. Her WBC started to differentiate already. Neutrophils were already present in her smear and that was good enough for her doctors. If all will turn out well, she will be having another bone marrow biopsy in 2 weeks time and her second round of chemotherapy soon after.

It's good to see her smile again! The best thing that I saw today! I hope all of you out there reading this post will not cease to PRAY for her. Please include her in your daily prayers just like what we are doing. We are still hoping and expecting for the best, in Jesus' name!

My appreciation...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home