Saturday, May 17, 2008

Family First!



Our topic for this week's blog rounds is very relevant and interesting. our host, Joey M.D. picked a subject matter that really caught my attention. I really wanted to write my piece about my family and I think this post is long overdue. By family, I mean my original family where I originated. At 40 years of age I do not reckon I will still have a family of my own (but I am still praying for a miracle as I really wanted to marry, have children and God willing, live to see my grandchildren) and my original family is the only family I've got.

If there's one thing I can boast of, it's the strong family bond that we, the Hornedos have. We've been through thick and thin, through ups and downs, through hell and high water, through the toughest of times and I am proud to say, we are still here together, all 5 of us siblings and our parents. With all my in-laws, nephews and niece, we constitute one happy clan. I am glad I was able to migrate here as I was the only one left in the Philippines and honestly, the years I spent alone and away from them were the loneliest times of my life. I couldn't imagine how sad I was during those times I was away from my family. I guess all of our OFWs felt the same and I tell you it was like living hell.

One of the things that makes us, Filipinos unique, is the very strong family ties that bind us together. Our families are so closely knitted that only in our country can you see 3 sometimes 4 generations living under one roof. I must admit we are one of a kind especially when it comes to caring for our elders. As much as possible we do not place our elders in nursing homes unlike down here in Australia where retirement villages are in abundance. Pensioners and retirees often are placed in nursing homes to be cared for by others.

My becoming a doctor is actually a personal choice. Nobody in my family influenced me to become one as nobody among them is a doctor or worked in a health related profession. They were very supportive in my chosen career as a physician. My parents and siblings as well were all very proud of me, especially when I passed the Physician Licensure Examination... I will not forget those days! I can still remember how protective my mother was during my training years; clerkship, internship and early part of my residency, she will not allow anybody to disturb my sleep especially when I am "from duty," and yes, not even my girlfriend.

My being single up to now is a long story, but it is definitely not related to my being a doctor. Probably the biggest decision I ever made was leaving my meager private practice and my being a doctor in the Philippines to be with my family, especially be with my mum here in Australia and I have NO REGRETS with that decision whatsoever.


Honestly, my parents are my priorities at the moment. They are my family and I am happy and contented being with them. I am also glad I live near my brother and sisters' houses, we get to see each other every Fridays (beer day!) and Saturdays and Sundays. I know this set-up will not last forever, I know that sooner or later things will change and so with my priorities but for now I'll savor the moments.

7 Comments:

Blogger the philippine daily idiot said...

so kayo rin po pala single. hehehe

6:06 PM  
Blogger Abner M. Hornedo, M.D. said...

awa ng poon! hahaha... nakarma na ata ako eh.

9:58 PM  
Blogger rheiboy17 said...

family first. iba pa rin kapag kasama ang pamilya, kahit saan lupalop pa tayo mapadpad. mabuhay ka doctor!

8:44 PM  
Blogger Abner M. Hornedo, M.D. said...

salamat rheiboy! mabuhay ka!

10:32 PM  
Blogger J.A. said...

Hi Call for entries to TBR 11 is here: http://jaaraf.blogspot.com/2008/05/tbr-11-goes-on-food-trip.html

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TBR 10 is finally up!

Thank you so much for participating! :)

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have your priorities right Doc Abner!

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home