Thursday, May 08, 2008

Cheers To You!


People tend to forget unpleasant memories, we only keep the good ones. We reminisce the enjoyable past events and as much as possible do not think of the awful ones. How can someone forget a great guru which molded you the way you are now? And how can anyone joyfully remember a person which made your life a living hell?

Many doctors became inspirations for me. Ever since I started medical school, I admired many (but not all) of my professors and teachers. I used to day dream that someday I'll reach the status they are in at that time. During my short stint as Surgical Resident and as a Pediatric Resident, I learned to love and admire two great people. Both of them are good teachers and both of them equally competent practitioners as well.

Dr. Ray Malilay was the Surgical Department's chairman of the Mary Chiles General Hospital when I was a Surgical Resident back in 1995. He was very strict when it comes to surgical techniques and decision making. Dr. Malilay played a major part in honing my surgical skills. I will always remember my first Herniorrhaphy, he was my first assist then. I had a hard time because my knuckles got sore from the army/navy retractor which he used to hit my hand whenever I did a wrong move.

Dr. Manuel Ferreria is like a father to all of the Pediatric Residents who had training at the Delos Santos Medical Center. In fact he is godfather to all Pedia Residents who got married. He is like a walking encyclopedia, would you believe he knows even the sodium and potassium content of a Gatorade drink! He always had questions during our morning endorsement rounds be it silly or serious. I learned a lot from him.

These are two of my best teachers. I owe them a lot because I will not be in this position if not for their guidance and support. I salute both of them for a job well done because I know deep in my heart that I became the doctor they wanted me to be.

Mabuhay po kayo Dr. Malilay at Dr. Ferreria!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doc Abner, what a heartfelt tribute to your best mentors. I join you in saluting them along with all countless doctors/teachers out there who really look out for us and our learning. Mabuhay kayo!
I've noted this entry to the 9th ed of TBR. Salamat!

1:55 PM  
Blogger J.A. said...

Lovely tribute! Some people really just touch you and influence you in their own way. I hope I could also do the same with the interns rotating at our departmetn every 15 days. A mentor, that is. :)

5:26 PM  
Blogger Abner M. Hornedo, M.D. said...

thanks for appreciating!

cheers to you megamom and j.a.

9:13 AM  
Blogger the philippine daily idiot said...

Hi, doc. This is my fourth blog-hop. Thanks for sharing the lives of your mentors. BTW, I was born in Mary Chiles.

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I had a hard time because my knuckles got sore from the army/navy retractor which he used to hit my hand whenever I did a wrong move."

This is what one could probably call karinyo brutal. Endearing. :) Thanks for this post.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Abner M. Hornedo, M.D. said...

thanks gigi and got meloinks!

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TBR-9 Roundup is up. Thanks for participating!

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Ray Malilay was one of my professors in Surgery! I liked the way he teaches too. Great job, Dr. Abner! Great tribute to your mentors.

I'd like to invite you to participate in TBR10. I'll be hosting. Theme is "The Doctor's Family". Call of articles here.

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home